CNUSD logo
  • Search
Workers' Compensation

Workers’ Compensation

Frequently Asked Questions

 Q. What should I do if I have a job injury?

A. Report the injury to your supervisor right away. If your injury or illness developed over time, report it as soon as you learn or believe it was caused by your job.

Reporting promptly helps prevent problems and delays in receiving benefits, including medical care you may need. Injured employees are required to complete a claim (DWC 1) form and contact Company Nurse at (877) 518-6712.

Q. Where do I go for treatment?

A.  Company Nurse will provide care advice and refer to our frontline clinics when necessary.  Employees that have pre-designated may be referred to treat with their personal physician.  If medication is prescribed, injured employees may use the temporary prescription card for Express Scripts included with the Workers’ Compensation packet.

Q. Do I need to fill out the claim form (DWC 1) my employer gave me?

A. Yes. Giving the completed form to your employer opens your workers' compensation case. It starts the process for finding all benefits you may qualify for under state law. If you chose not to seek medical treatment, you will need to submit a Declination of Care form.

Q. Am I entitled to benefits?

A. Workers' comp insurance provides these benefits:

  • Medical care: Paid for by your employer to help you recover from an injury or illness caused by work.  After each treatment, you must provide a copy of your medical status report to the Risk Management Department.
  • Temporary disability benefits: Payments if you lose wages because your injury prevents you from doing your usual job while recovering.  These payments are included in your regular paycheck if you are a permanent CNUSD employee.
  • Education Code 45192: allows up to 60 days per work related injury/illness. Allowable leave shall not be accumulative from year to year.Industrial accident or illness leave will commence on the first day of absence.Payment for wages lost on any day shall not, when added to an award granted the employee under the workers’ compensation laws of this state, exceed the normal wage for the day.Industrial accident leave will be reduced by one day for each day of authorized absence regardless of a compensation award made under workers’ compensation.When an industrial accident or illness occurs at a time when the full 60 days will overlap into the next fiscal year, the employee shall be entitled to only that amount remaining at the end of the fiscal year, in which the injury or illness occurred, for the same illness or injury.
  • Permanent disability benefits: Payments if you don't recover completely

 Q. Who is the District’s Insurance Company?

A.  Keenan & Associates is the District’s third-party administrator and processes all of our workers’ compensation claims.  A claims adjuster will contact our injured employee to provide information and assist in the claim process.  Keenan & Associates and Risk Management work closely to assist injured employees through the workers’ compensation process.

 Q. Will my sick leave be deducted for a workers’ compensation absence?

A.  You must turn in a work status report when you are absent for a medical appointment.  Risk will deduct the absence from your 60-day Industrial Illness leave balance.  If you have exceeded the 60-day balance, then your sick time will be deducted.  We can only charge time to Industrial for an authorized medical exam or if the treating doctor places you off work temporarily disabled.

 Q.  How do I arrange for a substitute?

A.  If you require a substitute for your medical appointment, please report it through AESOP as Personal Necessity and notify Risk Management to authorize the absence reason change to Industrial.  If you are unable to treat outside your regular shift, you must schedule your appointments at the beginning or ending of your shift.

 Q. What happens to my temporary disability payments from the insurance company?

A. The temporary insurance payments are included in your regular paycheck if you are a permanent employee.  If you are a substitute, payments are made directly to you after the State of California three day waiting period.   

 Q. What is the Modified Duty program?

A.  Temporary modified/light duty assignments may serve to facilitate the injured employees’ transition back to regular duties or full-time work. Injured employees may be offered up to a 90-day modified or light duty assignment when a temporary medical condition prevents the performance of the essential functions of their current assignment or position. The District shall determine, on a case-by-case basis, whether a suitable temporary position currently exists to accommodate the physical restrictions specified by the unit member's workers’ compensation medical provider.


Please contact the Risk Management Department with any questions at

(951) 736-5036 or email



Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.Terms of UsePrivacy Statement